lb chicken drumsticks
1 cup plain yogurt
4 green chilies
1 medium sized onion (finely chopped)
1 small root of ginger
3 cloves garlic
Salt and black pepper to taste
4 tbsp oil
Coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Blend green chilies, ginger, garlic, and black pepper to a fine paste.
2. Add yogurt to this mix.
3. Marinate chicken drumsticks with the above mix and leave it for an hour.
4. In a non-stick pan, heat enough oil and let onions fry until brown.
5. Add chicken drumsticks to the onions and fry them until done.
Add some salt to taste and garnish with coriander leaves
kg mutton-boneless, cubed
1 kg cracked wheat-soaked in water for one hour and drained
1 1/2cups yogurt
1/4cup lemon juice
1 tsp green chilli paste
2 tsp green coriander paste
3 black cardamoms-seeds only 3
1/2tsp cinnamon-broken and powdered
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
2 tsp salt
1 1/4cup onions-chopped fine
green chillies and mint leaves for garnish
Mix together the yogurt, lemon juice,
chilli and coriander paste, cardamom and cinnamon powder,chilli powder,
ginger-garlic paste and salt.
Marinate the meat in this mixture and leave 3-4 hours. Add enough water to the wheat and cook till tender. When cool enough to handle, blend to a paste in a blender.
Heat the oil and add the meat mixture. Turn around over high heat, till opaque. Add water to cover and cook, covered over low heat till tender. Add the wheat paste and continue to cook another
CHICKEN CURRY (MURGA)
2-2 1/2 lb Skinned chicken
1 t Garam
3 t Salt
1 c Finely chopped tomato
1/4 c Vegetable oil
1/2 c Water
1 1/2 c Finely chopped onion
1 1/2 t Fresh ginger, chopped
1 t Finely chopped garlic
1 t Vinegar
1 Dried chili (optional)
Cut chicken, separate legs and thighs, back and split breast. Heat oil
over high heat. Add onions and fry until golden brown. Take care not
to burn them. Add garlic, ginger and tomatoes. Fry until a smooth
paste is obtained.
Add chicken, add water, bring to a boil, and add
salt. Cover pot and lower heat. Add chili to make it hot if desired.
Stir constantly to avoid burning and coat the chicken pieces evenly.
After the chicken is done, add vinegar and cook for another 5 minutes on
very low heat. Sprinkle on Garam Masala and serve.
This delectable Kashmiri dish, Rogan Josh is mutton cooked with the most intensely hot and sweet fragrant
spices. Rogan Josh is one of the best-known meat curries and is a great favorite in restaurants. It means 'red lamb'.
2 Tblspns, peeled, coarsely chopped fresh
8 cloves, peeled Garlic
4 tbsp & about 1 cup Water
10 tbsp Vegetable oil
2 lbs Lamb with bones cubed
10 pods Cardamom
2 Bay leaves
6 whole Cloves
10 whole Peppercorns
1 inch Cinnamon stick
4 large Onions finely chopped
1 tsp Ground coriander
2 tsp Ground cumin
4 tsp Red Chili powder
2 tsps Degchi mirchi (this red chili powder is used to give a red color to the recipe)
Salt to taste
6 tbsp Yogurt
1/4th tsp Garam masala
Freshly ground black pepper
Blend the ginger, garlic and 4 tablespoons water into a smooth paste. Heat the oil in a wide heavy pot over a medium-high flame. Brown the meat cubes in several batches and set aside.
Put the cardamom, bay leaves, cloves, peppercorns and cinnamon into the same hot oil. Stir once and wait until the cloves swell and the bay leaves begin to take on a light brown color. This just takes a few seconds. Now put in the onions. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until the onions turn a golden-brown color. Put in the ginger-garlic paste and stir for 30 seconds. Then add the coriander, cumin, red chili powder, degchi mirchi and the salt. Stir and fry
for another 30 seconds. Add the fried meat cubes and juices. Stir for 30 seconds.
Now put in 1 tablespoon of the yogurt. Stir and fry for about 30 seconds or until the yogurt is well blended. Add the remaining yogurt, a tablespoon at a time in the same way. Stir and fry for another 3-4 minutes.
Now add 1 cup of water and bring the contents of the pot to the boil, scraping in all the browned spices on the sides and bottom of the pot. Cover, turn heat to low and simmer for about an hour, or ntil the meat is tender. Every 10 minutes or so, give the meat a good stir.
When the meat is tender,
take the lid off, turn the heat up to medium, and boil off some of the liquid. You should end up with tender meat in a thick, reddish-brown sauce. Sprinkle the Garam masala and black pepper over the meat before you serve and mix them in.
Cook up 50g(2oz) porridge oats with water as directed on the
packet. This only takes a couple of minutes in the microwave. Top with a small drizzle of honey and chopped apple.
In a blender, mix together a medium-sized ripe banana, a pot of
low-fat yoghurt, the same volume of skimmed milk and either a
few drops of vanilla essence or a pinch of cinnamon. Blend until
smooth and serve over ice.
3.Bread 'n' banana
One slice of thick-cut wholegrain bread with a heaped teaspoon
of peanut butter and a banana.
Grill two turkey rashers and two tomatoes, halved. Serve with a slice of wholemeal toast and a small glass of orange juice.
5.Smoothie(banana,mango and orange)
In a blended, mix together a medium-sized ripe banana, half a
mango and 150ml (5ft oz) fresh orange juice. Blend until smooth
and serve over ice.
6.Eggs 'n' bread
Poach or boil two eggs and serve with two slices of wholegrain or granary bread.
7.Beans on toast
200g (7oz) baked beans (no added salt or sugar variety) with two
slices wholegrain toast.
Stir two tablespoon no-added sugar muesli into three
tablespoons of greek yoghurt. Serve with a banana and small glass of fruit juice.
Two slices of malt loaf with reduced-fat olive spread, six prunes
and a glass of orange juice.
Two slices of mixed grain seeded bread, toasted, with reduced
fat olive and a teaspoon or two of high fruit jam.
BESAN KE LADOO
4 cups Gram Flour
1 cup Pure Ghee
2 cups sugar
1 tsp Powdered Cardamom
1/2 cup chopped Almonds and Raisins
· Heat the ghee in a pan.
· Add the gram flour and fry it on a low flame stirring continuously till brown.
· Once it is browned, let it cool.
· Add powdered cardamom and sugar. Mix well.
· Add chopped almonds and raisins.
· Shape into ladoos and serve.
2 cups All purpose flour (maida)
11/2 tbsp. fine grained semolina or rice flour
1/4th tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp curd (plain yogurt)
11/4th cups warm water
1/2 tsp. saffron threads, slowly dry-roasted and powdered
3 cups sugar
2 2/3rd cups water
1/2 tsp green cardamom seeds powder
11/2 tbsp. kewra water or rose water
Ghee or vegetable oil for frying
· Mix the flour, semolina or rice flour, baking powder, curd and 3/4th cup of the water in a bowl (preferably a ceramic bowl). Mix well with a whisk.
· Mix well and then add remaining water and 1/8th tsp. of saffron powder, and whisk until smooth.
· Set aside for about 2 hours to ferment.
· Whisk thoroughly before use.
· Prepare one string syrup by dissolving sugar in the water. Just before the syrup is ready add saffron and cardamom powder.
· Heat oil in a kadhai. Pour the batter in a steady stream ( or coconut shell with a hole) into the kadhai to form coils. Make a few at a time.
· Deep fry them until they are golden and crisp all over but not brown.
· Remove from the kadhai and drain on kitchen paper and immerse in the syrup.
· Leave for at least 4-5 minutes so that they soak the syrup.
· Take them out of syrup and serve hot.
KESAR KAJU BURFI
500 gms Kaju (cashewnuts)
300 gms sugar
1/2 tsp kesar(saffron)
1/4 tsp orange color
2 chandi (silver) warak
· Soak the cashewnuts in water for 3 hours.Drain the water and ground the cashewnuts,finely.
· In a pan mix sugar and cashewnuts,and roast on low heat,stiring constantly.
· Mix saffron and orange color in it.roast till done.
· On the rolling board place a butter paper and pour the mixture on it.
· Now place another butter paper ,sandwhiching the mixture between the two paper. Roll it with rolling pin.
· Remove the butter paper from top and place silver warak,and cut the burfi pieces.
** BREAD AND HONEY PUDDING **
4 slices wholemeal bread, finely shredded
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp sultanas
1 apple, cored and roughly chopped sprinkle
of cinnamon powder
200 ml fresh milk or formula
1 egg, beaten
1. Soak shredded bread in milk till all the liquid has
2. Stew apple chucks in a little water till pieces are
soft and tender. Drain water and leave to cool.
3. Mix sultanas, stewed apple chucks, honey, egg and a
dash of cinnamon powder into the bread and milk
4. Turn mixture into a lined baking tin and bake tin
and bake at 180*C till top of pudding is golden
brown.(Do not overbake as pudding will dry out).
** BREAD STICKS WITH CREAM OF PUMPKIN **
1 thin wedge red pumpkin(100g), grated
1/4 large onion, grated
2 tbsps formula
1 tps margarine
1-2 bread stick
1. Heat margarine and saute grated onion. Add punpkin.
2. Add water and simmer for about 20 minutes till veg-
etables are very soft and mushy.
3. Add in formula, bring to the boil and leave aside